Bug #571: Impossible to completly support JDBC

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #571: Impossible to completly support JDBC
Date: 2002-02-03 19:24:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tiago Antao (tiagoantao(at)yahoo(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Impossible to completly support JDBC

Long Description
This is in fact to report 2 problems regarding JDBC.

#1: JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getImportedKeys returns a null because it was not implemented. I think the correct behaviour would be to raise a SQLException. If there is an agreement on this, I would gladly implement the (simple) solution.

#2: This is much more serious: It is impossible, AFAIK, to get foreign key information from the metadata tables pg_* on PostgreSQL. As I understand the fkeys are implemented via triggers... but it would be interesting that fk info would be made available as metadata.
Without this I believe it is _impossible_ to have a fully compliant JDBC driver.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report