Re: sequence indexes

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sequence indexes
Date: 2002-01-29 16:28:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 07:43:52AM -0500, mlw wrote:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >
> > mlw wrote:
> >
> > One must be very careful not to introduce reverse priority problems -
> > i.e. a
> > lower priority process locking some resource and then not letting go
> > while
> > higher priority processes are blocked from running due to needing that
> > lock.
> I understand that, hmm. I wonder if the lock code could boost the priority of a
> process which owns a lock.

The classic approach to solving priority inversion is to allow for
priority inheritance: that is, the low-priority process stays low
priority, even when it locks a resource, until there is contention for
that resource from a higher priority process: then it inherits the higher
priority of the waiting process.

Ross