Function problem

From: Sharon Cowling <sharon(dot)cowling(at)sslnz(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Function problem
Date: 2002-01-17 21:42:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a problem with a function containing the copy command.

The command below does exactly what I need it to do:
\COPY person2 TO '/usr/local/pgsql/report.csv' USING DELIMITERS ','

However I need this in a function to call from the front-end code, it creates fine but errors when I call it:

user=# CREATE FUNCTION getreport10() returns int as '
user'# BEGIN
user'# \COPY person2 TO ''/usr/local/pgsql/report.csv'' USING DELIMITERS '','';
user'# return 1;
user'# END;'
user-# LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
CREATE

user=# select getreport10();
ERROR: You must have Postgres superuser privilege to do a COPY directly to or from a file. Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin. Psql's \copy command also works for anyone.

It does work if I give the user superuser privileges but I don't really want to do this!
Any suggestions?

Regards,

Sharon Cowling