Re: mysql-pgsql comparison

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mysql-pgsql comparison
Date: 2002-01-14 13:34:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Le Lundi 14 Janvier 2002 13:37, Michael Meskes a écrit :
> But I wonder how easy it is to get the articles out. The last time I tried,
> I was asked how much I would pay for writing the articles. Of course it was
> formulated as "how much advertisments do you order?" :-)

For what I experience, it is free and you don't have to buy
advertising space, unless you are a large company (and this can also be
discussed: I worked for a large company and never had to buy advertising
space).

Journalists are interested in product comparision (Pentium vs. Athlon). What
they need is ready-to-publish articles/figures/charts. They do not always
have the time to very the information. Journalists are not "liers", they just
need the right information ...

If you read Monty emails, he never mentions technical information when
comparing MySQL vs PostgreSQL. He rather write "read this article in which
you will find that..." or "a recent survey showed" or "MySQL has a market
share of". Some of these emails went to the basket immediately for obvious
reasons.

> I would be willing to be the one person in Germany. After all we could
> publish the same article in different countries.

I could be the one for France (das lebte die französiche Freundschaft) and
the two of us could start with an experimental
http://postgresql-propaganda.org site, with secure access for
the team.

I can handle the creation of a small database with newspapers address and
journalist names.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE
--