How do you do a subselect in postgresql?

From: Mel Roman <f24012(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Postgresql Novice_Mailing_List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How do you do a subselect in postgresql?
Date: 2002-01-11 04:52:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello:

I've been working with databases for several years now
(primarily MS SQL Server) and have recently started
working with Postgresql on a trial basis. I can't
seem to get subqueries to work in postgresql. For
example, below is a simple dump of my table weather:

meltest=> select * from weather;

city | temp_lo | temp_hi | date
---------------+---------+---------+------------
San Francisco | 46 | 50 | 1994-11-27
Los Angelos | 49 | 55 | 1994-11-28
(2 rows)

If I try to do a subselect as follows, I get a parsing
error:

meltest=>select * from (select * from weather) as w;
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "select"

I don't see anything wrong with the SQL syntax, even
after comparing it against the on-line documentation.
Can someone please point out what's wrong with this
syntax? I know it works on MS SQL Server - do you
have to do it differently in Postgresql?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mel Roman