Incorrect Column Width For Text Columns

From: <cnliou(at)eurosport(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Incorrect Column Width For Text Columns
Date: 2002-01-09 09:24:47
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Greetings!

I use Borland product with postgresql 7.1.3 and
psqlODBC 7.01.0009. I also created many text columns
in postgresql tables. My problems are:

(1) If "Text as LongVarChar" is checked, the text
columns become memo fields in delphi. Memo fields are
extremely difficult to manipulate. My application is
completely not usable with all these memo fields.

(2) If "Text as LongVarChar" is unchecked, delphi
treats the text columns properly except it gets (via
psqlODBC?) the wrong text column width. It sometimes
gets the text column width based on the longest data
of all the rows in the result set, sometimes not (by
randomly assuming a very short one). Thus I can not
enter more than, say 15, bytes of characters in text
columns.

What I need is automatic field widths with no length
limitation in delphi app for all postgresql text
columns. How do I get this?

If it is not possible to acquire the automatic field
width for text columns, I would much appreciate if
anyone could show me how to set a little longer fixed
width, say 300 bytes, for all text columns.

Thank you in advance!

CN

You too can have your own email address from Eurosport.
http://www.eurosport.com