Re: Does Postgres support BLOB datatypes?

From: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)dynworks(dot)com>
To: "Peter E(dot) Chen" <pchen3(at)jhmi(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does Postgres support BLOB datatypes?
Date: 2002-01-08 20:03:38
Lists: pgsql-general

A quote from the mysql.com docs:

"The only difference between BLOB and TEXT types is that sorting and
comparison is performed in case-sensitive fashion for BLOB values and
case-insensitive fashion for TEXT values. In other words, a TEXT is a
case-insensitive BLOB."

If I understand you correctly, you need a large space to store either binary
data or text. PostgreSQL offers BYTEA and TEXT types. BYTEA is NULL-safe, so
I would reccommend it if you actually have binary data. If you're just
storing text, you can use the TEXT type which has no upper limit on size.

Regards,
Jeff