Re: ECPG bug in --help

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG bug in --help
Date: 2002-01-06 18:11:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 04:02:14PM +0000, Lee Kindness wrote:
> > Michael, hope you've had a good Christmas & all the best for the New
> > Year...
>
> Sure. Thanks.
>
> > When you run 'ecpg --help' you get the following:
> >
> > -t turn on autocommit of transactions
> >
> > amongst the other options... Shouldn't this be OFF as per the
> > documentation?
>
> No, this is correct. However, there are some problems in the wording.
> autocommit means "use the default transactions from PGSQL" while
> auto-transaction mode means to "start a new transaction after each commit".
> The latter is the way Oracle handles this, you just have to issue commits
> but no begin trans. The first of course is the very same as working with
> pgsql.
>
> This needs some clearer wording urgently. I haven't checked Bruce changes so
> far.

I merely changed ecpg.sgml to match the --help message, which is (I
thought) correct. The Ingres wording "autocommit" means the standard we
have in pgsql, that is a single query is assumed to be a single
transaction and BEGIN must be used to create multi-query transactions.

OK, I see your wording now. ref/ecpg.sgml was originally correct too,
but the confusion was that --help talked about autocommit on while
ecpg.sgml talked about auto-transaction off. I have updated the entry
to be:

<varlistentry>
<term>-t</term>
<listitem>
<para>
Turn on auto-commit of transactions.
</para>
</listitem>
</varlistentry>

This now matches --help. Please let me know how you like it. Good
catch.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us