Re: Smb to get involved

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Pavlo Baron <pb(at)pbit(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Smb to get involved
Date: 2002-01-03 18:12:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavlo, welcome aboard! Like any good free software collaborative
project, PostgreSQL is always happy to have new contributors. Just be
prepared for public, honest, _productive_ criticism of your code. If
you've got an itch to make an Oracle compatability layer, scratch away:
noone here will try to tell you what you _should_ be working on. Do
note that being 'just like Oracle' is not a major goal for the project,
but making it easy to port or write software against both databases is.

If you decide to take a look at this, I'd suggest talking to the OpenACS
people, and in particular Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com> who pops
up here occasionally: they've probably ported more code from Oracle to
PostgreSQL than anybody, and have a good idea about the niggly little
details you'd need to address.

Ross