Re: psql tab completion for DO blocks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql tab completion for DO blocks
Date: 2010-01-02 22:34:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
>> My inclination is to not have the separate query at all,

> I made one so people couldn't tab complete themselves an unpleasant
> surprise. The overhead doesn't seem huge.

What unpleasant surprise is that going to be? They'll get an error
message telling them there's no inline support. That seems to me to
be more user-friendly than forcing them to type out the language name
and then getting the same error message.

As for the overhead, these queries are not zero-maintenance. I still
think that the usefulness of tab completion here is pretty darn minimal,
since most people are more likely to rely on default_do_language;
so I don't see the point of carrying an extra query to tweak the
behavior in a way that isn't even obviously an improvement.