Re: postgresql startup problem on win2k

From: fred(at)ontosys(dot)com
To: dave <dmehler(at)davemehler(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql startup problem on win2k
Date: 2001-12-31 21:39:05
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 03:12:15PM -0500, dave wrote:
> the log.txt is my application log, where i see some
> information about postmaster complaining about missing registry
> keys,

Don't worry about the "missing registry keys" part of the event data.
That text seems to appear whenever a cygwin process generates an event
log entry; it does not indicate a specific problem. The only
pertinent part of the event data is the text that follows "... is part
of the event:".

Did you check /var/log/postmaster.log? It might indicate why
postmaster failed to start.

If your Win32 system restarts without the postmaster process exiting
cleanly, such as happens if the machine is power-cycled, the
postmaster.pid file may be left over and postmaster will refuse to
start. In that case, simply delete $PGDATA/postmaster.pid and then
try starting the postmaster service again.

--
Fred Yankowski fred(at)ontosys(dot)com tel: +1.630.879.1312
OntoSys, Inc PGP keyID: 7B449345 fax: +1.630.879.1370