Re: binding TCP connections

From: will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: binding TCP connections
Date: 2001-12-26 04:18:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Folks are asking me off-list:
> RE: http://archives2.us.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2001-10/msg00448.php
> "binding tcp connections to certain addresses"
>
> Will:
> Did you ever receive a response or resolution to this problem? I
> am in the same situation, trying to bind the same IP's.
>
> If you can lend a hand, it would be most greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks, in advance!

i did find out that /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf can contain
a line such as

virtual_host = '127.0.0.1'

using SINGLE QUOTES to delimit the IP address -- but successive
instances of that line such as

virtual_host = '127.0.0.1'
virtual_host = '192.168.1.1'

the latter will override/wipe out the former. i've tried taking
blind stabs in the dark such as

virtual_host = '127.0.0.1','192.168.1.1'
virtual_host = '127.0.0.1,192.168.1.1'

to no avail (errors in /var/log/postgresql.log):

FATAL 1: postgresql.conf:41: syntax error, token=","
FATAL: StreamServerPort: gethostbyname(127.0.0.1,192.168.1.1) failed

any nudges are welcome. :)

(there's always the firewall/ipchains/iptables route, but surely
there's a postgresql-specific way to turn listening on and off
for several addresses?)

--
The only virus scanners I am aware of that run under linux are
designed to scan for Windows viruses in traffic that the linux

will(at)serensoft(dot)com