Re: NULL values or not?

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Archibald Zimonyi <archie(at)netg(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NULL values or not?
Date: 2001-12-21 12:29:56
Lists: pgsql-sql
Archibald Zimonyi wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a question about NULL values. Lets say that we have a world with
> the following info:
>
> FirstName
> LastName
> PhoneNumber
>

> Everyone has to have a FirstName and LastName but not everyone has to have
> a PhoneNumber.

    I  don't  know  of any particular, but I can imagine cultures
    where people don't have first or last names. For sure alot of
    people  on this earth don't have a mailing address that'd fit
    into the "usual" schema. Don't make the schema too  scattered
    just  to  avoid  NULLs.  Wether  you like them or not doesn't
    matter, use them where they are handy.

Jan