Re: Too Many Open Files... NetBSD

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ian Harding <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too Many Open Files... NetBSD
Date: 2001-12-18 22:23:23
Lists: pgsql-general

> Argh. I have finally come to the point where i have to pay attention to this nuts and bolts stuff.
>
> I get: ERROR: pltcl: couldn't create pipe: too many open files
>
> Is this the issue that requires setting options and recompiling my kernel like :
>
> <Bruce's article>
>
> FreeBSD
> NetBSD
> OpenBSD
> The options SYSVSHM and SYSVSEM need to be enabled when the kernel is compiled. (They are by default.) The maximum size of shared memory is determined by the option SHMMAXPGS (in pages). The following shows an example of how to set the various parameters:
>
> options SYSVSHM
> options SHMMAXPGS=4096
> options SHMSEG=256
>
> options SYSVSEM
> options SEMMNI=256
> options SEMMNS=512
> options SEMMNU=256
> options SEMMAP=256
> (On NetBSD and OpenBSD the key word is actually option singular.)
>
> </Bruce's article>
>
> It seems there is no easy way to tweak kernel memory configuration stuff in NetBSD. Can someone with some experience in this help me out here? Thanks!!

OK, these are only for shared resources like system V shared memory and
semaphores. Number of open files is controlled in a different way.

On my BSD/OS machine, sysctl allows you to control the maximum number of
open files. The sysctl manual has:

kern.maxfiles integer yes

and the 'yes' indicates it can be changed via sysctl. Perhaps NetBSD is
the same.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us