Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction

From: MindTerm <mindterm(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance tuning in large function / transaction
Date: 2001-12-14 08:05:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

senario:

cursor 1 loop ( e.g. find student id )
cursor 2 loop ( e.g. find courses of this student )
cursor 3 loop ( e.g. update course information )
delele course detail ...
or
delete course detail ... ( same primary key )
insert course detail ... ( same primary key )
end loop 3
end loop 2
end loop 1

It did 75 delete actions 140 update actions ( delete
and insert ). The process time was about 5-6 minutes
while oracle was 10 seconds to 20 seconds .

postgresql.conf :
shared_buffers = 3200
wal_buffers = 80

running on linux 7.1 , 512M ram.

M.T.

--- Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>