Re: Clustering high-availability

From: Ragnar Kjørstad <postgres(at)ragnark(dot)vestdata(dot)no>
To: "news(dot)i-2000(dot)com" <jeff(at)muttworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clustering high-availability
Date: 2001-12-01 18:40:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 02:51:04PM -0500, news.i-2000.com wrote:
> I just spent a week or so working on FailSafe without much luck.
>
> have a look on
> http://www.sgi.com/software/failsafe/
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/failsafe/mail.html
>
> you can get it at:
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/failsafe/
>
> I think using the RedHat 7.2 Distribution gave me the problems in building
> the underlying libraries.
> It is definatlely more slanted toward the Suse distribution.

It should work on RedHat as well.

> Compaq supposedly is backing an OpenSource HA Clustering Project too.

Compaq is backing several clustering projects.

They have the Cluster Infrastructure for Linux (CI)
(http://ci-linux.sourceforge.net/) project and the Single System Image
Cluster for Linux (SSI) (http://ssic-linux.sourceforge.net/). In
addition they're part of the effort to create a common framework for
cluster software for linux.

There are aslo a bunch of other available cluster software, see:
http://vestinternett.no/~ragnark/ha-software.txt

My personal preferanse is heartbeat (www.linux-ha.org), because it's
small and easy.

--