Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Paul Stavrides <pstav123(at)adelie(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...
Date: 2001-12-01 02:25:39
Lists: pgsql-general

If I remember a previous discussion correctly, the
problem is not having a "bad" sed, but a
"too-up-to-date" one. Someone got carried away with
escaping, which resulted in some "\n" combination(s)
appearing in regular expressions used by sed. Not a
problem with most seds, which interpret that as just
"n", but GNU sed interprets "\n" as a newline
character. A small change to the code should see you
clear.