Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens
Date: 2001-11-28 20:28:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > OK, new text is:
> >
> > <envar>PGPASSWORD</envar>
> > sets the password used if the backend demands password
> > authentication. This is not recommended because the password can
> > be read by others using <command>ps -e</command>.
>
> Just a nit--the 'e' option is for Berkeley-style ps (/usr/ucb/ps on
> Solaris). SysV ps doesn't have an equivalent from what I can see,
> (though I may have missed it) and '-e' does something totally
> different.

Yes, I debated that one. I wanted to mention the environment issue
without being verbose. I believe 'ps e', without the dash, does show
environment, doesn't it?

> > I am unsure if Linux has this problem but it seems most other Unix's do.
>
> Modern versions (of Linux) don't seem to--you can see the env for your
> processes but not for others'.

If Linux doesn't have this problem, I should mention it is a problem on
_some_ platforms.

New text is:

<envar>PGPASSWORD</envar>
sets the password used if the backend demands password
authentication. This is not recommended because the password can
be read by others using <command>ps e</command> on some
platforms.

I am glad to continue revising it until we are all happy. I throw these
texts out so people can make comments and improve upon it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us