Re: Postgres 7.1.3 RPMs for RedHat 6.2 ?

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: dcr <david(dot)crosson(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 7.1.3 RPMs for RedHat 6.2 ?
Date: 2001-11-27 17:05:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 26 November 2001 05:04 pm, dcr wrote:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, dcr wrote:
> >>Has anyone build Postgresql 7.1.3 RPMs for the RedHat 6.2 linux
> >>distribution ? I only found those for 7.1.2.

> > Download the .src.rpm for 7.1.3 and run 'rpm --rebuild <filename>'.
> > You'll get what you want.

> In fact, my problem was that the .src.rpm is using new RPM file format,
> and not the default one used by redhat 6.2. I could upgrade RPM to the
> 4.0.2 release but I prefer not to have to do so (I need to keep the
> orignal redhat distribution as it is.)

An original RHL 6.2 on the internet will likely get cracked within minutes
due to a known remote root exploit (see the Honeynet project's webpage). Red
Hat's errata page for RHL 6.2 includes rpm 4.0.2 as part of the required
security updates. The upside is, if I am not mistaken, that the version of
RPM shipped with RHL6.2 cannot install all the security updates -- thus rpm
4.0.2 is really a required upgrade.

But, there is or was an RPM 3.0.5 available that doesn't require the big
upgrade but CAN read the version 4 source RPM.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio