Re: newbie needs help with postgres internal tables

From: William WAISSE <wwaisse(at)esprit-equipe(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: newbie needs help with postgres internal tables
Date: 2001-11-27 15:37:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Le Friday 23 November 2001 14:14, Tom Lane a écrit :
> > It's necessary cause I want to display in a treeview ( GtkCtree ) all
> > the the tables in a particular database, and for each table, all the
> > fields in this table ).
>
> You can only see tables of the database you are connected to. To do the
> above, you'd need to open a connection to each database in turn
> (assuming that the installation is configured to let you get into all of
> them...)
Yes, and that's what I already do, but I always see the tables of this
database AND postgresql ( pg_* ) tables.

> pg_database is visible from all databases, and so are pg_shadow and
> pg_group, but AFAIR everything else is database-local.

See here the result of select in psql while connected to gpf database:

gpf=> select * from pg_tables;
tablename | tableowner | hasindexes | hasrules | hastriggers
----------------+------------+------------+----------+-------------
pg_type | postgres | t | f | f
pg_attribute | postgres | t | f | f
pg_proc | postgres | t | f | f
pg_class | postgres | t | f | f
pg_group | postgres | t | f | f
pg_database | postgres | f | f | f
pg_variable | postgres | f | f | f
pg_log | postgres | f | f | f
pg_xactlock | postgres | f | f | f
pg_attrdef | postgres | t | f | f
pg_relcheck | postgres | t | f | f
pg_trigger | postgres | t | f | f
pg_inherits | postgres | t | f | f
pg_index | postgres | t | f | f
pg_statistic | postgres | t | f | f
pg_operator | postgres | t | f | f
pg_opclass | postgres | t | f | f
pg_am | postgres | t | f | f
pg_amop | postgres | t | f | f
pg_amproc | postgres | f | f | f
pg_language | postgres | t | f | f
pg_aggregate | postgres | t | f | f
pg_ipl | postgres | f | f | f
pg_inheritproc | postgres | f | f | f
pg_rewrite | postgres | t | f | f
pg_listener | postgres | t | f | f
pg_description | postgres | t | f | f
pg_shadow | postgres | f | f | t
gpf_db | gpf | t | f | f
(29 rows)

For information I finally found two solutions :

1- Maintain myself a table containing the tables of each database.

2- Automatically naming all the tables of a database using the same rules
( ie : gpf database, all the tables are named gpf_*), so that a
"select * from pg_tables where tablename like 'gpf%' " will return what I
need.
I just have to keep the naming convetion of each database, which is not a
problem since I already have one internal table containing a row row for
each database created and ruled by GPF ( my future application ).

I chose the second solution ( probably faster and easier ).

Thanks for your answers.

PS: Sorry if my english is not always the best, I'm French ;-)

--
cordialement, William WAISSE fpr = 9CCD 7DA2 7050 8805 F471 03D1 DF76 B78C
690B 4E07