Re: compilation failure on windows2000

From: Gerhard Hring <haering_python(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compilation failure on windows2000
Date: 2001-11-13 19:05:37
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 10:24:55AM -0800, Yuan, Wei wrote:
> Hi, there,
>
> I got the following error while compiling posgresql 7.1.3 on my windows2000
> machine with cygwin 1.1.9
>
> gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations command.o common.o
> hel
> p.o input.o stringutils.o mainloop.o copy.o startup.o prompt.o variables.o
> large
> _obj.o print.o describe.o tab-complete.o -L../../../src/interfaces/libpq
> -lpq -L
> /usr/local/lib -g -lz -lcrypt -lreadline -lcygipc -o psql
> tab-complete.o(.text+0x2a36):tab-complete.c: undefined reference to
> `filename_co
> mpletion_function'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Am I missing some libraries?

I've digged out an answer from Jason Tishler out of my mail archive. Here it
is:

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 20:44:33 -0400
From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: David <cupcake(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] NT install

David,

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:27:19PM +0000, David wrote:
> I have installed cygwin as of late September, 2001, and cygipc-1_10-1 and
> was trying to do the gmake today as part of the postgresql install and I
> received this error:
>
> gcc -02 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations command.o
> common.o help.o input.o stringutils.o mainloop.o copy.o startup.o prompt.o
> variables.o large_obj.o print.o describe.o tab-complete.o -L../../../src/interfaces/libpg
> -lpg -L/usr/local/lib -g -lz -lcrypt -lreadline -lcygipc -o psql
> tab-complete.o(.text+0x2a36):tab-complete.c: undefined reference
> to `filename_completion_function`
> [snip]
>
> Do you think I should remove the reference to filename_completion_function?

No. The pristine PostgreSQL 7.1.3 source needs to be patched to build
against readline 4.2 (or later) under Cygwin. I recommend using the
already patched for Cygwin PostgreSQL source that is available on the
Cygwin mirrors. Of course, this is only if the pre-built binary does
not meet your needs.

> In the broader context, I am trying to use postgresql on my WindowsNT
> to access a sybase database using ODBC.
>
> Does anyone know of this having been done successfully? Are there
> focused and detailed instructions for this purpose?

Sorry, I have no experience in this area so I can't help you with
this one.

Jason

The information transmitted in this message (if any) is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain
confidential and/or privileged material. It doesn't really matter, we will
append this lengthy legalese mumbo-jumbo anyway. Any review, retransmission,
information, by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. The same goes for the intended recipient herself.

If you have received this in error, please contact your lawyer and delete this
e-mail and everything else from any computer in your vicinity.

The intended recipient of this e-mail may only use, reproduce, disclose or
distribute the information contained in this e-mail and any attached files,
with the permission of BigBrother Inc.

This message has been scanned for anti-Microsoft propaganda and cleared by
MailMarshal.