Re: Funny timezone shift causes failure in test suite

From: Liam Stewart <liams(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Funny timezone shift causes failure in test suite
Date: 2001-11-13 21:28:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:01:13PM +0100, Rene Pijlman wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:26:28 -0500, you wrote:
> >Ok, after having stared at things for a while, I believe that the
> >problem is that Rene's backend (computer?) is not recognizing local
> >summer time (daylight savings).
>
> Its running Red Hat Linux 7.1. Is that buggy? ;-)
>
> linuxconf says zone is "Europe/Amsterdam" and I remember
> selecting that when I installed it. date +%Z says "CET".
>
> This is /etc/sysconfig/clock:
> ZONE="Europe/Amsterdam"
> UTC=false
> ARC=false
>
> By the way, according to a reliable local source there was no
> summer time in the Netherlands between 1945 and 1977, but I'm
> not sure if the timezone configs of Red Hat are aware of that
> :-)

That's it. (At least) Sun's JRE seems to be braindead when it comes to
timezones.. I made a small test program that runs through a sequence of
years and for each year, it takes a date in the winter and a date in the
summer and checks whether or not the calendar is in daylight savings
time. From 1945 to 1977, it reports that in the summer, daylight savings
time is observed, which it shouldn't be.

After poking around some, I think that Java isn't concerned with
historical behaviour (ICU [Internation Components for Unicode] isn't
AFAICS, and the ICU Java classes developped by Taligent were integrated
into Sun's JDK 1.1...)

Liam

--
Liam Stewart :: Red Hat Canada, Ltd. :: liams(at)redhat(dot)com