Re: It's dead and won't get up!!

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "KUCHARSKI, DAVID R(dot)" <dave(at)iemco(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: It's dead and won't get up!!
Date: 2001-11-08 23:36:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

"KUCHARSKI, DAVID R." wrote:
>the man page suggested
>#nohup postmaster >logfile2>1 &
>
>from a google search they suggested going to the control tab of linuxconf
>and trying to restart the service there. NO LUCK that way.
>
>when I try:
>#su postgres
>$ postmaster
>
>I get the following:
>/usr/bin/postmaster doesn't know where to find database system data. You
>must specify the directory that contains the database system either by
>specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the PGDATA environment
>variable.

You would do better to use "su - postgres" so as to load the login
environment for postges, which ought to define PGDATA. If it still doesn't
work you can use -D as suggested by the error message.

As to your original problem, have you perhaps run short of disk space?
WAL now creates its files in 16Mb chunks; see if there is anything
about that in your log files.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never
die. Believest thou this?" John 11:26