Performance Question Followup No.2

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan(at)bobich(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance Question Followup No.2
Date: 2001-11-07 13:16:57
Lists: pgsql-general

After just having split the action into two parts (FTI delete + Master
delete), it would appear that most of the delay does come from the triggers
executing.

delete from masterfti where masterfti.id = master.id and master.entrytime <
'31-Oct-2001';
DELETE 172609

Came back in about 10 seconds.

delete from master where entrytime < '31-Oct-2001';

is still going after 10 minutes even though there are no records in the FTI
table that are being deleted.

Is there an explanation for this? Anything that I should check? Any
performance tweaks that would improve this situation?

Sorry to go on about this, but I'm totally puzzled by this.

Regards.

Gordan