Re: deleted logs when I shouldn't have...

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Stephanie Brail <zhaanlives(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: deleted logs when I shouldn't have...
Date: 2001-11-06 07:07:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 08:57:22PM -0800, Stephanie Brail wrote:
> I did something really stupid. Our server was out of
> disk space and I deleted the files in the pg_xlog
> directory (or whatever the heck it's called). Now I
> can't start Postgres. Help!

That's bad. Really bad. In recent releases there is a program called
resetxlog or something which will rebuild it for you, but only back as far
as the last vacuum IIRC :(. Do you have backups?

> Also, how to deal with these logs, that grow and grow
> and take up space?

They grow a little bit for each transaction you do. In older releases the
only fix was complete dump and restore of database. Apparently recent
releases handle this much better.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/