Re: Beta going well

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beta going well
Date: 2001-11-04 18:08:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In the past we've usually targeted a one-month beta cycle, haven't we?
> Often it took longer, but with so few trouble reports I can't see a
> justification for suddenly changing the target to ten weeks.

That was my reading of events.

> I would almost say that we could plan to do beta2 this week, rc1 the
> week of Thanksgiving, and final about Dec 1 (barring major trouble
> reports of course).

It would be great if we could do this. If there were server problems,
that would be a good reason to get those all ironed out, if they aren't
already, and announce a big beta2, and tell people they have ~1 week and
if we don't hear anything, we are going RC1. That will get their
attention. :-)

> But ... there are a couple of flies in the ointment. One is that with
> the kinks still not completely worked out of the new server setup,
> I don't have much confidence that there are really a lot of people doing
> beta testing. (If Marc ever put out an actual announcement of beta1,
> I didn't get it. And we know some people have been unable to download
> the beta.) The other is that with the holiday season coming up, many
> people will have less spare time than usual to spend on Postgres. So
> maybe Marc's unaggressive schedule proposal is appropriate.

Actually, the Christmas holiday season is often busy with development,
especially the week between Christmas and New Years because most offices
are slow during the period. Also, lots of people like to upgrade during
that period for the same reason, which makes releaseing a final prior to
Christmas a double win -- we get development time and they can upgrade
during a slow period.

> On the whole, though, I agree with Bruce. We've been in "almost beta"
> mode for two months now, we shouldn't need another two months to get to
> release.

In previois betas, we have had the occasional "Wow, I am glad that
didn't get into final" bugs, but I haven't seen _any_ yet and I am
doubting if I will.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us