Re: Best way to store/search phone numbers?

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Gould <andrewgould(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Raise Exception <raiseexception(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best way to store/search phone numbers?
Date: 2001-11-01 23:43:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Consistently formatted data is easier to work with, so
I suggest storing the phone numbers without any
non-numeric characters. This would require writing
some application code to extract the numeric
characters, either within the database using a
trigger, or within the client application.

Arguments about whether to store data as a single
string/number or whether to break it up could go
either way. Probably you would want to at least have
a separate field for extension numbers, and if
international numbers are likely to be stored, for
country codes as well.