Re: moving postgres data

From: Einar Karttunen <ekarttun(at)cs(dot)Helsinki(dot)FI>
To: "Duncan Adams (DNS)" <duncan(dot)adams(at)vcontractor(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: moving postgres data
Date: 2001-10-31 09:51:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:17:01AM +0200, Duncan Adams (DNS) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have data in a postgres database on one server and have to move it to a
> new server that has been set up with a new version of postgres. The
> database is an exact copy. what is the best way of moving the thing across?
> do i set up the tables on the new box and write scripts to move it across or
> is there another way of doing this?

See pg_dump and restore in Reference Manual - PostgreSQL Client Applications.
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?app-pgdump.html
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?app-pgrestore.html
If you want to move all databases use pg_dumpall
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?app-pg-dumpall.html

- Einar Karttunen