Re: PostgreSQL dirver?

From: Jason Earl <jdearl(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Mayan <escalante(at)canada(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL dirver?
Date: 2001-10-30 22:40:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes, this is a little disconcerting. Debian installs
PostgreSQL according the the Linux Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard, which means that instead of one
/usr/local/postgresql directory you get various files
scattered all over the place. However, once you learn
a little bit more about the FHS you will see that it
mostly makes sense. More importantly, you can easily
query the system to find out where it installed the
various files. Try typing in 'dpkg -L postgresql'.

You can also do apt-cache search postgresql to see
what other packages have something to do with
postgresql. I would especially recommend the
postgresql-doc package.

The documentation for any given package is generally
found in /usr/share/doc/package-name, and most
packages have a Debian specific README with some
useful hints. The actual databases are stored in
/var/lib/postgres and the configuration files in
/etc/postgresql .

I personally find the Debian PostgreSQL packages to be
amazingly well done, and I have happily turned the
maintenance of this package over to Oliver :). Make
sure you get the most recent packages, however.
Debian Stable still has PostgreSQL 6.5.3, and with 7.2
currently in beta you don't want to be developing with
6.5.3.

Jason