Re: Differential Backups

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Differential Backups
Date: 2001-10-30 15:28:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:22:44 -0800
"Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org> wrote:

> I have been thinking about backups. I currently do one a day. However, I
thought it might be nice to get differential backups through the day. I
should be able to generate dumps throughout the day, generate a diff from my
baseline dump, and just keep the diff, right? Then to do a restore I would
just patch for the point in time I wanted to restore to? Seems like it would
work, but whether it would save any hard drive space would depend on how much
activity the database saw. Anyone doing this now?

idea is god, but dont use suggested diff program. go for xdelta. it's
algorithm is much better - faster and definetly less memory-eating.

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski http://www.depesz.pl/
... vows are spoken to be broken ... [enjoy the silence]