Re: resend: Chinese sort order problem

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: renweili(at)csvw(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: resend: Chinese sort order problem
Date: 2001-10-30 05:39:03
Lists: pgsql-general

> hello Tatsuo,
> thank you very much, your suggestion solved my problem now.
> It can now "order by" with correct Chinese PinYin sort order. I am really
> very happy.
> Would you like to change the description in the Reference Manual for
> Installation?
> My Problem is a result following the Information in that Chapter, always
> recompiling with "--enable-locale" for my locale support.
> Maybe I have incorrect understand about the following:
> --enable-locale :: for support locale language sort order
> and --enable-multibyte :: for multibyte character storing ?

I would say multibyte character sets sorting using locale would never
work or it returns the same result without locale at best.

> So as a conclusion , when people want Chinese support in Postgres, he must
> recompile the source,
> with --enable-multibyte=EUC_CN, but without --enable-locale.

That might be a good idea. The locale support is useless anyway for
multibyte character sets such as Chinese and Japanese. I'm not sure
about traditional Chinese, Korean and Unicode though.

Another workaround would be using "C" locale anytime. But the question
is, if always using "C" locale, why you need the locale support:-)
--
Tatsuo Ishii