Re: Differential Backups

From: Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Differential Backups
Date: 2001-10-30 13:21:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoting Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com):
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> > Quoting Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com):
> > >
> > > GNU diff reads in memory both files. You sure need lots to compare
> > > medium sized databases, and I don't think this method will work on big
> > > ones.
> >
> > Doesn't GNU diff have the "-h" option?
>
> No, at least in my version of it (2.7, which appears to be the latest in
> my local mirror of GNU). What's that supposed to do? In fact, the help
> text says
>
> -h This option currently has no effect; it is present
> for Unix compatibility.

The option I'm thinking of might be "-H". The old man pages used to say
it stood for "half hearted", optimized for large files with few
differences.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin(at)xcski(dot)com>, not speaking for anybody
God does not play dice with the Universe. -- Albert Einstein.