DatabaseMetaData.getTables()

From: Jason Davies <jason(at)netspade(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DatabaseMetaData.getTables()
Date: 2001-10-28 00:25:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

There seems to be a problem with DatabaseMetaData.getTables() when I do the following:

ResultSet R=conn.getMetaData().getTables(null, null, "%", null);

It throws a NullPointerException:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.postgresql.jdbc2.DatabaseMetaData.getTables(DatabaseMetaData.java:1732)
at Test.main(Test.java:66)

Looking at the source, ResultSet.getBytes() is called and it returns null, causing this exception to be thrown. However I can use ResultSet.getString() without a problem. I'm using 7.1.3 at the moment. Does ResultSet.getBytes() need to be fixed or should getTables() be modified?

I'd be grateful for any insights. Or you can just tell me to use the latest cvs version of PostgreSQL :) What is the consensus on supporting older versions, will you phase out old code when 7.2 comes out?

--
Jason Davies

jason(at)netspade(dot)com