plperl and table/record access

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan(at)bobich(dot)net>
To: psql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: plperl and table/record access
Date: 2001-10-24 16:14:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

How do I manipulate data in tables from within plperl? Can I, for example,
issue SQL statements from within plperl functions? I haven't managed to find
any documentation on this subject. Can anyone point me in the correct
direction, please? I'm trying to write some trigger functions...

I have seen an example with the plperl function that performs a calculation
on each row of a table, but it is not explained anywhere how to insert
records, or how to locate specific records without having to loop through the
entire database. I presume that DBI will not work, given the need for setting
up separate database connections, authentication, etc.

Thanks.

Gordan