Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Fu, Robert" <Robert(dot)Fu(at)broadvision(dot)com>, "'Henshall, Stuart - WCP'" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'Steven Williams'" <swilliam(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql & cygncurses5.dll
Date: 2001-10-18 16:47:18
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Dave,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 09:05:36PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

Sorry, Dave with a lead in like the above, I just couldn't resist... :,)

> Whilst I agree that renaming is not a good idea,

Let's put it this way, you were lucky that the above worked. The next
time you may not be so lucky.

> unfortunately the reality
> is that searching that Cygwin list is not always the first thing that
> springs to mind for some of us PostgreSQL users (pgsql-cygwin maybe...).

Since PostgreSQL under Windows relies on Cygwin, I strongly recommend
searching the Cygwin list. Many "Cygwin PostgreSQL issues" are actually
just "Cygwin issues."

> I for one don't subscribe to the Cygwin list and probably never will - the
> traffic on the other 6 or 7 lists I read is hard enough to keep up with - so
> I don't tend to think of it when I should do.

I understand why you don't subscribe -- I can barely keep up with the
traffic myself. But, the Cygwin mailing list archives are some of the
best on the Net:

o posts show up immediately (not delayed by a day or more)
o posts do not get lost
o good search engine

So, you don't have to subscribe -- you just have to search.

In this case, searching for "cygncurses5" as in:

http://www.cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=htdig&restrict=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F&exclude=&method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=time&words=cygncurses5

finds a result set such that the *second* entry indicates a resolution
for this problem.

Hopefully, my "telling-off" wasn't too harsh...

Jason