pgsql/src bin/psql/Makefile bin/psql/print.c t ...

From: ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql/src bin/psql/Makefile bin/psql/print.c t ...
Date: 2001-10-15 01:25:11
Lists: pgsql-committers

CVSROOT: /cvsroot
Module name: pgsql
Changes by: ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org 01/10/14 21:25:10

Modified files:
src/bin/psql : Makefile print.c
src/test/mb/expected: unicode.out
Added files:
src/bin/psql : mbprint.c

Log message:
Commit Patrice's patches except:

> - corrects a bit the UTF-8 code from Tatsuo to allow Unicode 3.1
> characters (characters with values >= 0x10000, which are encoded on
> four bytes).

Also, update mb/expected/unicode.out. This is necessary since the
patches affetc the result of queries using UTF-8.
Hi,

I should have sent the patch earlier, but got delayed by other stuff.
Anyway, here is the patch:

- most of the functionality is only activated when MULTIBYTE is
defined,

- check valid UTF-8 characters, client-side only yet, and only on
output, you still can send invalid UTF-8 to the server (so, it's
only partly compliant to Unicode 3.1, but that's better than
nothing).

- formats with the correct number of columns (that's why I made it in
the first place after all), but only for UNICODE. However, the code
allows to plug-in routines for other encodings, as Tatsuo did for
the other multibyte functions.

- corrects a bit the UTF-8 code from Tatsuo to allow Unicode 3.1
characters (characters with values >= 0x10000, which are encoded on
four bytes).

- doesn't depend on the locale capabilities of the glibc (useful for
remote telnet).

I would like somebody to check it closely, as it is my first patch to
pgsql. Also, I created dummy .orig files, so that the two files I
created are included, I hope that's the right way.

Now, a lot of functionality is NOT included here, but I will keep that
for 7.3 :) That includes all string checking on the server side (which
will have to be a bit more optimised ;) ), and the input checking on
the client side for UTF-8, though that should not be difficult. It's
just to send the strings through mbvalidate() before sending them to
the server. Strong checking on UTF-8 strings is mandatory to be
compliant with Unicode 3.1+ .

Do I have time to look for a patch to include iso-8859-15 for 7.2 ?
The euro is coming 1. january 2002 (before 7.3 !) and over 280
millions people in Europe will need the euro sign and only iso-8859-15
and iso-8859-16 have it (and unfortunately, I don't think all Unices
will switch to Unicode in the meantime)....

err... yes, I know that this is not every single person in Europe that
uses PostgreSql, so it's not exactly 280m, but it's just a matter of
time ! ;)

I'll come back (on pgsql-hackers) later to ask a few questions
regarding the full unicode support (normalisation, collation,
regexes,...) on the server side :)

Here is the patch !

Patrice.

--
Patrice HD ------------------------------- patrice islande org -----
-- Isn't it weird how scientists can imagine all the matter of the