Re: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: phede-ml(at)islande(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE
Date: 2001-10-11 14:23:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Well, the conversion to/from UTF-8 for ISO 8859-10 or later is pretty
> > easy and should be supported, I think. Actually I already have
> > generated mapping tables for these charsets. I will make patches
> > against current and leave it for the core's decision, whether it
> > should be included in 7.2 or not.
>
> If you are comfortable with these patches then apply them. You know
> more about multibyte issues than any of the core committee...

Ok. I have committed changes to support ISO-8859-6 to 16.

1) Followings are supported ISO-8859 series encoding names. Column 1
is the "official" name and column 2 is the "alias" name.

LATIN1 ISO-8859-1
LATIN2 ISO-8859-2
LATIN3 ISO-8859-3
LATIN4 ISO-8859-4
LATIN5 ISO-8859-9
ISO-8859-6
ISO-8859-7
ISO-8859-8
ISO-8859-10 LATIN6
ISO-8859-13 LATIN7
ISO-8859-14 LATIN8
ISO-8859-15 LATIN9
ISO-8859-16

These encodings all support conversions to/from UNICODE(UTF-8).

2) LATIN5 no more means ISO-8859-5, instead ISO-8859-9. This may
impact the LATIN5 database backward compatibility. Especially in
case of conversion between LATIN5 and UNICODE. If you have LATIN5
database and used UNICODE conversion capability, PLEASE CHECK YOUR
DATABASE.
--
Tatsuo Ishii