Re: setting classpaths in cygwin to use with java

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Konrad Hernblad <konrad(at)pobox(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: setting classpaths in cygwin to use with java
Date: 2001-10-09 11:02:09
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Konrad,

In the future, please keep your replies on-list to prevent dangling
threads.

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:28:21PM +0900, Konrad Hernblad wrote:
> although it didn't exactly solve my problem, it did prompt me to dig around
> a little more. the problem was that i had mounted my c:\ as "/0" in my
> cygwin/etc/profile file using the following command:
>
> mount -s -b c:/ /0

The above is a very strange mount command. Do you know how it got into
your /etc/profile?

> (etc/profile)

I don't recommend adding personal environment setup to the system-wide
/etc/profile -- use your .bash_profile instead.

> CLASSPATH=/0/java/dev/myPrj

Assuming that you are using Sun's Java (or some other Win32 JVM), then
you must use Win32 and *not* Posix path:

CLASSPATH=$(cygpath -w /0/java/dev/myPrj)

> i tried changing my CLASSPATH env (in either file) to:
>
> CLASSPATH=\\java/dev/myPrj
>
> and when i tried running my program "Test" again (as above), it worked.

I have no idea why the above works.

> however, i still do not understand why a prefix of "/0" does not work if i
> have mounted that prefix to point to "c:\"?

The above should work if you use cygpath as described above.

BTW, cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com is probably a more appropriate mailing list for
these types of issues.

Jason