Re: your mail

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: "Shandrila V(dot)Janardhan" <sjanard(at)indcon(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: your mail
Date: 2001-09-28 00:57:45
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Shandrila,

In the future, please post to pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org instead of
sending private email, so others can benefit too.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:34:44AM -0400, Shandrila V.Janardhan wrote:
> I am interested in using PostgreSQL for our database requirement.
>
> I saw the documentation and have understood that PostgreSQl requires unix
> for the server. But client can be installed on windows.
>
> But I am not sure if that is right. Please could you clarify this for me.

The above is correct but, IIRC, the documentation is a little misleading.
The client can run as a native Win32 application. On the other hand,
the server requires a Posix interface and cannot run directly against
Win32. However, the server can run on Windows but only under Cygwin
(www.cygwin.com) -- a Posix emulation layer.

In fact, if you install Cygwin, then a pre-built PostgreSQL 7.1.3 will
automatically being installed. Please see the README for more details:

/usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.1.3.README

Thanks,
Jason