Re: postgresql.conf

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf
Date: 2001-09-26 17:25:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 26 September 2001 09:29 am, Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:
> Thank you very much.
> Actually, it was the optimization parameters that I was interested in. My
> db works rather slow even in single user mode and I wondered if I had
> missed some setup.

See Bruce's Performance article, which is linked to from
techdocs.postgresql.org. But, the direct link is
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/hw_performance/index.html

Even though it discusses hardware performance tuning, sizing the shared
buffer cache and the sort size is also discussed.

> BTW, is there a way to see what parameters are in
> effect?

See
http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admin/runtime-config.html for
the basics.

From a psql session you can show any runtime parameter that is set by using
the SQL 'SHOW' command. For instance, using SHOW tcpip_socket; from a psql
session I can get:
template1=# show tcpip_socket;
NOTICE: tcpip_socket is off
SHOW VARIABLE
template1=#

Or even:
template1=# show shared_buffers;
NOTICE: shared_buffers is 64
SHOW VARIABLE
template1=#

Use the listing in the administrator's guide (the link above) to see a
listing of the possible paramters, and then SHOW that parameter to see what
you want to see.

Although SHOW should have a way of listing ALL settings, IMHO.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio