Are duplicated OIDs troublesome?

From: David Santinoli <u235(at)libero(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Are duplicated OIDs troublesome?
Date: 2001-09-22 10:38:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I'm going to merge two existing PostgreSQL databases, now running on
two different machines. I'll have to end up with a single machine
running a single PostgreSQL installation, hosting both databases. I'm
going to dump/reload the databases WITH OIDS, and there's a high risk
that some rows in the first database will have same OIDs as some rows
from the second one. As long as the clashing rows belong to different
databases, however, it seems there's no trouble with them. To which
extent is this correct? Will any particular operation on these
"clashing" rows ever impact the installation's overall stability?

Thanks,
David