pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql jdbc1 ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql jdbc1 ...
Date: 2001-09-06 20:43:40
Lists: pgsql-committers

CVSROOT: /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name: pgsql
Changes by: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org 01/09/06 16:43:39

Modified files:
src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc1: ResultSetMetaData.java
src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2: ResultSetMetaData.java

Log message:
>Well, if it is that easy, I can do it. Patch attached and applied.
>
>> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 22:01:17 -0500, you wrote:
>> public boolean isWritable(int column) throws SQLException
>> {
>> return !isReadOnly(column);
>> }

Actually, I think this change has a consequence for this method
in the same class:

public boolean isDefinitelyWritable(int column)
throws SQLException
{
return isWritable(column);
}

This is from the JDBC spec
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/sql/ResultSetMetaData.html):

isReadOnly() - Indicates whether the designated column is
definitely not writable.

isWritable() - Indicates whether it is possible for a write on
the designated column to succeed.

isDefinitelyWritable() - Indicates whether a write on the
designated column will definitely succeed.

At this time we don't really implement the fine semantics of
these methods. I would suggest the following defaults:

isReadOnly() false
isWritable() true
isDefinitelyWritable() false

And that would mean that your patch is correct, but
isDefinitelyWritable() would need to be patched accordingly:

public boolean isDefinitelyWritable(int column)
throws SQLException
{
return false;
}

Again, both in jdbc1 and jdbc2.

Regards,
Ren? Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl>