What is syntax to use \i to include files?

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What is syntax to use \i to include files?
Date: 2001-09-06 14:21:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have a file I want to read into psql using \i.
I had done it in the past but today I am getting "No such file or
directory" no matter what I try.

For instance I even tried copying my script file to /tmp and doing "\i
/tmp/he.inc". Still got the No such file... error.

Do include files need to be in a particular directory?