Re: using multiple partitions for a single table

From: David Stanaway <david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Taher H(dot) Haveliwala" <taherh24(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using multiple partitions for a single table
Date: 2001-09-04 23:55:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wednesday, September 5, 2001, at 06:58 AM, Taher H. Haveliwala wrote:

> Is it possible in postgres 7.1.3 to have a single
> table span multiple partitions? Or is using RAID the
> only option?
>
> Thanks
> Taher

Hi there,
On Linux, you can use LVM (Logical Volume Manager) to do what you want.

I use LVM for a slightly different reason (So I can allocate disk space
as needed for different filesystems on the fly), but you can use it for
RAID like things, but it is more flexible (Esp with XFS filesystem).

I believe there is a similar (Even the same..) project for BSD, and of
course it is inspired by stuff that commercial unix systems have had for
a while.

David Stanaway
Personal: david(at)stanaway(dot)net
Work: david(at)netventures(dot)com(dot)au