Re: Performance TODO items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance TODO items
Date: 2001-09-06 00:03:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > No. As long as no one proved with test that mutexes are bad for
> > > performance...
> > > Funny, such test would require ~ 1 day of work.
> >
> > Good question. I know the number of function calls to spinlock stuff
> > is huge. Seems real semaphores may be a big win on multi-cpu boxes.
>
> Ok, being tired of endless discussions I'll try to use mutexes instead
> of spinlocks and run pgbench on my Solaris WS 10 and E4500 (4 CPU) boxes.

I have updated the TODO list with:

* Improve spinlock code
o use SysV semaphores or queue of backends waiting on the lock
o wakeup sleeper or sleep for less than one clock tick
o spin for lock on multi-cpu machines, yield on single cpu machines
o read/write locks

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us