Re: Deployment of PostgreSQL Applications

From: Sean Chittenden <sean-pgsql-general(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Mike Arace <mikearace(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deployment of PostgreSQL Applications
Date: 2001-09-01 00:38:41
Lists: pgsql-general

> 2) More importantly, is it possible to prevent a customer from peeking into
> said database once it is deployed on their machine? A large part of what
> makes my application proprietary is the data model in the database, and it'd
> be tough to maintain a competative edge when everyone can see exactly how I
> do things in the database by logging into their postgres account, adding
> some users and changing permissions on their machine. I really need to make
> sure the database is bulletproof before I can begin deployment.
>
> I' very new to postgresql and unix system administration in general, never
> having secured a system or played with permissions much in the past. Any
> advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I've seen other people say, you most certainly can't. The only thing
that you could do would be to obscure the fact that it's postgres.
Change the port number to the same as and Oracle installation... do a
search and replace for the workd 'postgres' and change it to 'myapp'.
Just becareful you don't shoot yourself in the food. ;) -sc

--
Sean Chittenden