--enable-syslog and Solaris 7

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: --enable-syslog and Solaris 7
Date: 2001-08-30 13:35:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with syslog and Solaris 7, and I've run
out of ideas about what might be wrong.

I configure postgres with --enable-syslog, and everything works fine.
Configure finds syslog, so that's not a problem. In postgres.conf, I
have the following:

#
# Syslog
#
#ifdef ENABLE_SYSLOG
syslog = 2 # range 0-2
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL1'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'
#endif

And, in /etc/syslog.conf, I have

#Postgres logging

local1.* /opt/OXRS/logs/postgres/pg.log

(yes, the whitespace is tabs).

Now, the strange thing is that nothing ever seems to go to the syslog
daemon. If I start up syslogd with -d, it never shows anything
coming from postgres, even though I have logging levels turned up.
If I redirect the log to both console and logfile, I get lots of
noise on the console, bit nothing in the file, so I know it's not
from want of data.

Any suggestion is much appreciated, because I'm stumped. I've never
seen anything like this before.

Thanks,

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue