Re: Error messages not always reported through the ODBCdriver -STATEMENT ERROR missing

From: Kristis Makris <kristis(dot)makris(at)datasoft(dot)com>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error messages not always reported through the ODBCdriver -STATEMENT ERROR missing
Date: 2001-08-27 16:18:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Hiroshi,

> > ******************************************************************************************
> > wats=# begin;
> > BEGIN
> > wats=# select vendor_remove(1);
> > ERROR: <unnamed> referential integrity violation - key in vendor still
> > referenced from vendorforwellagreement
> > wats=# commit;
> > COMMIT
> > ******************************************************************************************
> >
> > psql reports the error when I issue the SELECT statement, not when I
> > issue the commit. Shouldn't I be able to capture an exception when I do
> > an ExecuteSQL() from VC++, instead of a CommitTrans() ?
>
> Could you show me a reproducible example ?

I'm attaching two .sql files. Using psql, load the file "tables.sql" in
a fresh database. Then try to execute the commands in the "data.sql"
file. You should get the following error message:

test=# \i data.sql
BEGIN
psql:data.sql:2: ERROR: <unnamed> referential integrity violation - key
in tableb still referenced from tablea
COMMIT

If you try to issue the commands included in the "data.sql" file through
ODBC using VC++ (instead of psql) you will run across the case where an
exception cannot be captured.

Thanks,
-Kristis

Attachment Content-Type Size