Re: install postgresql instructions

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: roypgsqlcygwin(at)xemaps(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: install postgresql instructions
Date: 2001-08-25 01:10:39
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Roy,

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:24:41PM -0400, roypgsqlcygwin(at)xemaps(dot)com wrote:

> Just installed 7.1.3-1, thanx Jason, the README was perfect for a newbie
> like me getting up and started.

I glad that you found the README helpful. And, thanks for reading it!

> I do have one question though and this is due to my inexperience with
> cygwin. Logged in to my win2000 machine as administrator, I can't
> 'chown postgres /usr/share/postgresql/data'
>
> It keeps telling me that 'postgres' is an invalid user. This only works
> when I'm logged in to my box as 'postgres'. Can someone tell me if I got
> something totally configured wrong with cygwin? Or am I just not
> understanding something here?

Whenever you add a new Windows user, you need to rerun the mkpasswd
command to sync Cygwin's /etc/passwd with the Windows user account
information.

If you have not manually edited your /etc/passwd file, then you can do
the following:

$ mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd # workgroup

or

$ mkpasswd -d >/etc/passwd # domain

as appropriate.

If you have manually edited your /etc/passwd, then you should catch the
output from mkpasswd and append the new entries (i.e., postgres) into
your /etc/passwd.

If you add a new Windows group, then you should do the same as the above
for /etc/group but using the mkgroup command instead.

Thanks for catching this omission in the README. I will add it in the
next iteration.

Jason