Users which aren't users?

From: Luke Tudor <ltt(at)pml(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Users which aren't users?
Date: 2001-08-24 08:56:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I am having slight problems adding users to my database. This problem has only recently occured since our systems were upgraded to Solaris 8 -- maybe this is part of the problem?.

If I try to create a user using:
"CREATE USER ttc WITH PASSWORD enter"

the user appears in the pg_shadow table (and pg_pwd file). What I don't understand is why the user does not appear to be able to login to the database if the information has been writtern into this table.

Any Ideas?
Thanks for your ongoing support.

Best Regards,
Luke.